Happy Hedgehog Week 2020
How can you help Hedgehogs during awareness week this year?
British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) is asking people to take the time to think about how they might help hedgehog during hedgehog awareness week from the 3rd – 9th May.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions we are probably all spending more time than usual in our gardens. It is an ideal time to make those areas better for the decreasing population of hedgehogs. This is a chance to do something positive.
On the advice of the BHPS these are some simple things we can all do to help hedgehogs:
- Create a log pile that will offer shelter and food
- Build a Hedgehog Home, see plans at https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes/
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in
- Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons used
- Cover drains or deep hole
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds & pools
Do you have any pictures or stories about Hedgehogs in your garden? We would love to hear from you.
Send them to email@example.com