Animal Care Volunteer
Hours: 4 / 7-hour shift
Location: USPCA Animal Hospital, Carnbane Industrial Estate, Newry, Co Down, BT35 6QH
Minimum Age: 16 years old
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
The purpose of this role is to work alongside the staff in the care and social rehabilitation of animals at the animal hospital.
- Assist with the cleaning of animals' pens which involves removing dirty bedding, hosing or wiping out enclosures, sweeping and scooping up of poop, cleaning litter trays, and providing clean bedding and toys.
- Hygiene control – ensuring appropriate sanitisation and hand-washing and avoiding cross contamination.
- Ensuring that the animals remain stocked up with food, water, bedding and toys.
- Assistance with ensuring the Animal Care environment is presentable, and general tidying up.
- Providing enrichment to the animals under your care by walking them.
- Playing and spending time with all animals, dependent on their needs, providing them opportunities to interact with other animals, toys and people where appropriate.
- Taking bins full of linen/towels/bedding to the laundry and collecting clean bedding/towels etc to take back to your area.
- Assist with general laundry duties as part of each shift, including loading dirty laundry into the machines, loading and/or taking clean washing out of the dryers, and folding all clean items.
- To always act as a good ambassador for the USPCA, supporting its policies, procedures and aims.
What you will gain
Volunteering with the USPCA is fun, rewarding and makes a huge contribution to the relief of suffering in vulnerable animals.
- Make new friends
- Opportunity to make a difference
- The opportunity to try out something new
- Develop your interpersonal skills through practical experience
- Become part of a dedicated team who have a passion for animal welfare
- Gain a great sense of achievement & feel rewarded
How to Apply
To apply for this volunteer position please download and complete a volunteer application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively drop it into the USPCA centre.
- Volunteer Application Form