Hedgehog Awareness Week 2021
The 2nd-8th of May marks Hedgehog Awareness Week, a week organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) which highlights the dangers posed to this beautiful and delicate species and how exactly we can help them.
This year the society is asking you to consider how you can make your garden a hedgehog haven. No matter how big or small your outdoor space may be, there are lots of little adjustments you can do to make it hedgehog friendly!
Here are some pointers highlighted by BHPS:
- Make sure hedgehogs can access your garden with a ‘Hedgehog Highway’, a 5 x 5-inch square gap at the bottom of fences or walls should suffice. Once created, you can log these on the BIG Hedgehog Map.
- Create a log pile that will offer shelter and food.
- Build a Hedgehog Home – click here for plans.
- Moves piles of rubbish to a new site on the day you are burning it.
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming.
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height to allow hedgehogs to pass under it.
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Stop using pesticides and poisons.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools.
If you come across an injured hedgehog, please contact the USPCA team on 028 3025 1000.Back